Silver Spring fire sends one to hospital, displaces several
Updated: March 23, 2013 - 12:55 pm
A serious fire on Carroll Avenue in Silver Spring damaged six apartments and displaced 10 people Friday night. Firefighters say the 7 p.m. blaze started by an unattended pot on the stove.
A 59-year-old man was taken to a local trauma center for life-threatening smoke inhalation.
"In this type of structure, where you have a multiple family dwelling, sometimes they share a common roof," says Asst. Chief Scott Graham of the Montgomery Co. Fire & Rescue. "Once this gets on the second floor, once this gets into the roof, it's off to the races."
Graham says 85 firefighters battled the flames for 45 minutes.
The fire caused $500,000 in damages.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Latest VideosWatch videos from ABC7, NewsChannel 8 and more
Only On 7
"Katie" weekdays at 4pm on ABC7 followed by Leon Harris and Alison Starling on ABC7 News at 5. Click here to find out more about "Katie!"