Arlington fire injures three, one rescued
Updated: April 16, 2013 - 05:58 pm
Three people were injured and one had to be rescued Tuesday from a two-alarm house fire in Arlington, officials say.
The fire broke out in a home in the 2300 block of Dinwiddie Street, Arlington County Fire officials say. One person had to be rescued from the home by first responders while the other two were able to get out on their own.
Samantha Pozo is still having a hard time looking at the place she called home. Only the charred frame remains of her house. The 21-year-old lived in the basement apartment.
“I heard an explosion coming from upstairs,” she says.
Seconds later, smoke started seeping inside her door.
“Everything happened fast… I saw the smoke in the ceiling, like really bad smoke,” Pozo says.
Two victims were taken to Washington Hospital Center to be treated for burns and respiratory injuries. The third was taken for treatment to Virginia Hospital Center.
A witness tells ABC7 people were trying to jump from the second floor to escape the flames.
“It’s sad, scary. [I] feel bad for the people that live there and the animals.”
Pozo thanks the 911 operator, who she says kept her calm until firefighters arrived. Without her, she doubts she and her two ferrets would be OK.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.