Boston Marathon explosions: At least 3 dead, dozens injured in Boston blasts
Updated: April 16, 2013 - 05:47 pm
(AP/ABC7) - Saying that Boston "will overcome," Boston and Massachusetts officials continue to collaborate with the FBI and a joint terrorism task force to find out who was behind Monday's bombing of the Boston Marathon.
A day after two bombs were set off near the marathon's finish line, killing three people and injuring more than 150, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said that they expect the crime scene to remain active for at least two more days. One of the victims killed was 8-year-old Martin Richard. Another was 29-year-old Krystle Campbell.
"This is the most complex crime scene in the history of the Boston Police Department," Davis said. The commissioner added that security sweeps prior to the explosions did not turn up anything.
The latest casualty numbers from Boston Police include three dead and more than 170 injured, 17 of whom are considered critical. The Associated Press on Tuesday reports that a person briefed on the investigation says the bombs were made of pressure cookers with metal and ball bearings.
According to the ABC affiliate in Boston, an eight year old boy who was waiting for his father to finish the race is among the dead. The Boston Globe identified the child as Martin Richard.
President Barack Obama on Tuesday characterized the bombings an "act of terrorism" for the first time.
"This was a heinous and cowardly act and given what we now know about what took place, the FBI is investigating it as an act of terrorism. Anytime bombs are used to target innocent civilians, it is an act of terror," he said. "What we don't yet know however is who carried out this attack or why, whether it was planned by a terrorist organization, foreign or domestic, or whether it was the act of a malevolent individual."
Rick DesLauriers, the FBI's Special Agent in Charge for Boston, said during a press conference Tuesday morning that there are no known additional threats to the city.
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said that the act of terror on his city's iconic road race injured more than 150 people. In addition, he confirmed that no other unexploded devices were found in the city after the explosions.
A Baltimore area pre-school teacher is among the more than 170 who were injured in explosions at the Boston Marathon.
A chaplain at the Trinity Episcopal Children's Center in Towson says 29-year-old Erika Brannock suffered two broken legs in the explosions Monday near the finish line of the race.
Chaplain Kathleen Capcara says the children's center held an assembly Tuesday to explain why the teacher was not at the school. Capcara says the children were told she was in an accident in another state. A group photo of the children is also planned for a get-well card that will be sent to Brannock.
The chaplain says Brannock is a Baltimore Ravens fan so the children plan to pose for the picture in team gear.
Authorities serve search warrant
Meanwhile, the FBI served a search warrant Monday night on a home in suburban Boston in the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing attack. Massachusetts State Police confirm that a search warrant related to the investigation was served in suburban Revere, but they haven't said anything else.
Some investigators were seen leaving the house early this morning, carrying brown paper bags, plastic trash bags and a duffel bag.
Authorities say so far no suspects have been arrested and they don't have a motive. And the FBI is appealing for any video, audio or photos taken by marathon spectators.
A defiant Mayor Thomas Menino said that the residents of his close-knit city will lean on each other as the recovery continues.
"I've been mayor for 20 years; I've never seen people pull together like this," Menino said. "This is a tragedy, but Boston is a strong city. We'll get through this."
The injuries ranged from cuts and bruises to amputations. Many victims suffered lower leg injuries and shrapnel wounds. Some suffered ruptured eardrums.
There was no immediate word on the motive or who may have launched the attack and authorities in Washington said there was no immediate claim of responsibility. Some 27,000 runners took part in the 26.2-mile race, one of the world's premier marathons.
According to the race's website, more than 1,270 from Maryland, Virginia and the District entered the Boston Marathon. It's unclear how many of them actually raced on Monday.
A day of chaos
The twin blasts at the race took place almost simultaneously and about 100 yards apart, tearing limbs off numerous people, knocking spectators and at least one runner off their feet, shattering windows and sending smoke rising over the street.
As people wailed in agony, bloody spectators were carried to a medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.
In the immediate aftermath of the explosions, the Federal Aviation Administration barred low-flying aircraft from within 3.5 miles of the site.
"There are people who are really, really bloody," said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent being treated for dehydration when she was pulled out to make room for victims of the explosions. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."
About two hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.
Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.
Police wove through competitors as they ran back toward the course.
Smoke rose from the blasts, fluttering through the national flags lining the route of the world's oldest and most prestigious marathon. TV helicopter footage showed blood staining the pavement in the popular shopping and tourist area known as the Back Bay.
Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.
"I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."
Runners who had not finished the race were diverted straight down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family meeting area, according to an emergency plan that had been in place.
Rona Eisen, a retired doctor from Bethesda, and her husband Stuart Eisen, where both at the marathon when the bombs detonated. Rona Eisen was running in the race and was between both explosions while her husband was waiting in the bleechers for her.
He was about 50 feet from the explosions.
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Latest VideosWatch videos from ABC7, NewsChannel 8 and more
Only On 7
"Katie" weekdays at 4pm on ABC7 followed by Leon Harris and Alison Starling on ABC7 News at 5. Click here to find out more about "Katie!"