Pepco says it improves storm preparations
Summer storm season is upon us, and for residents in the region, that can often lead to trying times.
In June last year more than 400,000 Pepco customers were out of power for several days after the derecho swept through the area.
On Wednesday, Pepco officials said they've been working over the last year to reduce outages.
"Our Region is experiencing more weather events of different types and severity," said Thomas H. Graham, president of the Pepco Region, said in a statement." "We will make every effort to improve our emergency restoration process to better meet our customers' expectations. Regardless of predictions, we also strongly encourage customers to take steps and be ready for any emergency."
The utility spent more than $182 million to upgrade the system.
Pepco also doubled number of phone lines for customer service so people can better report outages and has 150 “line” personnel available to respond to emergencies.
Officials said on Wednesday that the utility can't do it alone, that people need to prepare their homes and businesses as well.
This Rockville couple who've lost power in the past are hopeful this summer won't be like last.
Hurricane season starts Saturday and this year, it’s expected to be an active season with 13 to 20 named storms
Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.