WORLD

Apple iPhone electricution: Ma Ailun dies after reported shock from iPhone

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

A 23-year-old Chinese woman was killed when she apparently suffered a massive electrical shock while using a plugged-in iPhone 5, multiple reports say, and now Apple is launching an investigation.

File photo: Wikimedia Commons

The Wall Street Journal says that Apple officials have the incident under investigation, despite details of Ma Ailun's death being scant.

According to the China's Xinhua News Agency, the China Southern Airlines flight attendant was making a phone call while her iPhone was charging when she was electrocuted.

""We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family," Apple officials said in a statement.

A doctor who saw Ma after she died told the Wall Street Journal that her neck had obvious signs of electrical injury.

Static shocks have been a persistent issue for the iPhone over its history. In 2009, Apple warned owners of both iPhones and iPods that they could experience a small electrical shock when using earbuds with their devices due to a buildup of static electricity.

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus