VIRGINIA

Carbon monoxide leak in Falls Church sends three to hospital

Comment
Decrease Increase Text size

FALLS CHURCH, Va. (WJLA) - Three people became critically ill Wednesday morning after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning inside a Falls Church apartment, officials say.

Emergency crews were called to Barcroft Plaza Apartments in the 3600 block of Malibu Circle early Wednesday after a resident complained of nausea, headache and dizziness.

“The patience had all the symptoms, they were dizzy nauseous had a headache, so we evacuated the building,” a fire official says.

Authorities say the carbon monoxide levels were more than a hundred times norm.

Eleven apartments in all were evacuated, leaving several dozen

Officials say crews took two women and one man to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries. A faulty furnace is believed to be the source of the leak.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue spokesman Dan Schmidt says carbon monoxide levels in the complex were extremely high. Residents were allowed back into the complex just before 6 a.m.

Fairfax County fire officials say the apartments did not have carbon monoxide detectors, so as bad as this incident turned out to be, the potential for more victims, was there.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Would you like to contribute to this story? Join the discussion.

Recommended For You
comments powered by Disqus