NATION

Fla. baby dies after eating laundry pod

Decrease Increase Text size

The recent death of a Florida baby after he ate a laundry detergent pod highlights the potential dangers of the packets.

To kids, laundry detergent pods might look like candy. The CDC warns to store them out of reach from children. Photo: USCPSC via Flickr

ABC News reports the baby boy was a resident at a battered women’s shelter in Kissimmee, Fla.

Police tell ABC News the mother left the room for a brief moment Friday and when she came back, the child was eating the laundry detergent packet, which was in a laundry basket on the bed.

The child died at an area hospital. The mother has not been charged, and police tell ABC News that they don’t see any malice or child neglect.

The CDC says that to kids, laundry detergent pods might look like candy. If your child ingests a pod, call the poison control center at 800-222-1222.

READ MORE: abcnews.go.com

Recommended For You