March on Washington events
Washington D.C. is buzzing as thousands gather to take part in numerous events leading to Wednesday's March on Washington. Here's a look at what's going on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Tuesday, August 27th
• The Conference on Civil Rights gets underway Tuesday at the Washington Court Hotel. It will feature panel discussions and speakers on a range of civil rights issues. The conference gets underway at 8:45 a.m. and goes throughout the day.
• A panel discussion with the Historical Society of Washington D.C. begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday night. Journalists, photographers and activists will discuss photos from the 1963 march.
Wednesday, August. 28th
• An interfaith ceremony will be held Wednesday at 9 a.m. at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial.
• Civil rights leaders, dignitaries and thousands of marchers will gather Wednesday morning for the March for Jobs and Justice. The event begins at 9 a.m. and will start at 600 New Jersey Avenue. The march commemorates one of the largest political rallies for human rights in U.S. history.
• President Obama will speak at The Let Freedom Ring Commemoration at 1 p.m. at the Lincoln Memorial . At 3 p.m., bells will ring to mark the time that Dr. King gave his “I Have a Dream Speech”.