March on Washington: Region prepares for historic event
WASHINGTON (WJLA) - Workers started putting up tents Tuesday for what will be more than a week of ceremonies on and off the National Mall for the 50th anniversary of the historic March on Washington.
MPD Chief Cathy Lanier said more officers will be patrolling during the events.
“You'll see a lot more police officers in the streets,” she says.
Tuesday morning, officials in Prince George’s County, like their D.C. counterparts last week, rallied to urge residents to attend the upcoming march.
"We're encouraging everybody to come out because it is so important,” says Prince George’s County Executive Rushern Baker.
Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks agreed.
"We challenge Washington,” he says. “We will be present and we're challenging every other jurisdiction as well to be there. But they will see Prince George’s will definitely be present."
At the African American Civil War Museum, civil rights veterans Frank Smith and Larry Rubin remembered the feelings after coming up from the trenches to the big march 50 years ago.
"I was inspired by the vast number of people to go back to the south,” says Rubin of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee. “I might not have done that if I’d had not been for the feeling that I got."