Government shutdown 2013: Free food, drinks, services
Updated: October 2, 2013 - 02:08 pm
WASHINGTON (WJLA) - Lots of local businesses are looking to ease the pain of a government shutdown by offering a plethora of giveaways and deep discounts on food, drinks and services. Here's a breakdown of what you can get, and where you can get it.
• Vantage Fitness in Falls Church is offering a free one-week guest pass for furloughed federal employees. Just show your federal I.D. to sign up.
• Z Burger’s four locations in Arlington, Columbia Heights, Tenleytown and Southwest will give a burger to furloughed federal government and D.C. government employees, with an ID, for the length of the shutdown. Z Burger will be giving out the free burgers each day during the lunch rush from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and again at dinner time 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Chef Jose Andres is offering free sandwiches for federal workers at his Jaleo restaurants in Chinatown, Crystal City and Bethesda. Andres will also offer sandwiches at his other Chinatown restaurants, Oyamel and Zaytinya.
• DuPont Circle's Kramerbooks and Afterwords Cafe is extending its happy hour prices ($5 beers, rail drinks and house wines) until closing. Members of Congress pay double.
Govt. shutdown: Happy hr prices, 'til closing: $5 all beers, rail drinks; house wine, bar only. (Memb. of Congress pay double.)— kramerbooks (@kramerbooks) October 1, 2013
• Union Pub on Capitol Hill is offering $3 "shut it down" whiskey shots and $6 pizzas from 2 p.m. until 5:30 p.m.
• The Mighty Dog and Acai food truck, parked Tuesday at the corner of 24th and M NW, will give away a free bag of chips and drink (with a government ID) with the purchase of a hot dog.
Tomorrow's SHUTDOWN SPECIAL***FREE chips & Drink w/purchase of any Dog,for all Gov employees w/ proof of ID.Window opens at 11am.— Mighty Dog and Acai (@MightyDogAcai) October 1, 2013
• The National Geographic Museum will waive its usual admission fee and allow visitors in free on Tuesday. The offer of free admission does not apply to groups of 10 or more.
• Columbia Heights barbeque spot Acre 121 is offering a $10 burger, bbq and beer special (with a government ID).
• Portuguese chicken restaurant Nando's Peri Peri is honoring the shutdown with a "boneless chicken, spineless congress" offer. Government workers, with an ID, can get a free butterflied chicken breast.
• DuPont Circle's Irish Whiskey is offering a "Furlough Funday" happy hour, with happy hour drink specials and $1 off appetizers until 8 p.m.
Soooo...Furlough Funday?! Show us your government ID and receive Happy Hour drink special and $1 off appetizers from NOW until 8:00pm!— Irish Whiskey DC (@IrishWhiskeyDC) October 1, 2013
• The National Zoo may be closed with the rest of the Smithsonians, but the Baltimore Zoo is free all day long on Tuesday.
• Paradise Springs winery, in Clifton, Va., will offer 10 percent off all bottles if you know the secret password (it's "shutdown").
Due to the govt shutdown, the winery will offer 10% off bottles of wine today only with the password "shut down". Come visit us! #vawine— Paradise Springs (@ParadiseSprings) October 1, 2013
• H Street NE favorite Granville Moore's will offer $1 Stella Artois cans for the duration of the shutdown and food specials starting Tuesday at 2 p.m.
• Duffy's Irish Pub is offering $2 beers (Miller Lite, Natty Boh, Coors Light and Pabst Blue Ribbon tallboys) after 10 p.m. through Thursday during the shutdown.
• Marvin, near the corner of 14th and U Streets NW, is throwing a shutdown party starting at 1 p.m., DJ included. Beer prices start at $2 from 1-2 p.m., then go up to $3 from 2-3 p.m., then $4 from 3 p.m. on.
• 11th Street barbeque restaurant and bar Kangaroo Boxing Club will offer $3 screwdrivers from noon until 5 p.m. Your first one is free with a government ID.
• Sandwich shop Taylor Gourmet will offer a 10 percent discount, along with a cookie and career counseling to furloughed government workers who purchase a sub or salad.
• Sophie’s Cuban D.C., on 19th Street in Northwest, will offer three free empanadas this Thursday with any purchase to customers who can show a government ID.
• The Daily Dish in Silver Spring will offer a free cup of coffee, no purchase necessary, to all government workers.
• Columbia Heights bar Meridian Pint will open at noon Tuesday with its "local ales for budgets ails" promotion. Federal employees, with a valid ID, get 10 percent off their tab until 5 p.m.
Local Ales for budget ails!10% off with Federal ID, we open at noon. 3 different $5 beers available until 5! http://t.co/t7Idi9wr2P— Meridian Pint (@MeridianPint) October 1, 2013
• The Sixth and I Historic Synagogue will open its doors at 10 a.m. for “Shutdown Central,” with free coffee and food for anyone, not just government workers, as well as marathon viewings of “The West Wing.”
• Wine bar Mockingbird Hill, on 7th Street NW, will offer government ID holders a free glass of sherry each day for as long as the shutdown lasts.
• Gourmet Cottage in Occoquan is offering 15 percent off any purchase with a valid government ID, valid until the shutdown ends.
• The National Museum of Women in the Arts will waive its admission fee Tuesday for anyone with a government ID.
• Georgia Avenue restaurant and beer garden D.C. Reynolds will offer buy one get one drink specials from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. each day of the government shutdown.
So, who is actually off tomorrow? We'll be open for BOGO from 11-9. Let us know if your getting an unpaid holiday?— DC Reynolds (@DCReynoldsBar) October 1, 2013
• The Phillips Collection will open as usual and waive its admission fee for the remainder of the week.
• The Beltway Plaza Mall in Greenbelt will offer a free box lunch and a free movie ticket to anyone, not just government employees, who have been furloughed from their jobs. The promotion runs for the entire month of October.
• Madam's Organ, the prominent music hall and bar in the heart of Adams Morgan, says it'll provide government workers a free beer at Happy Hour to anyone with a government ID between 5 and 8 p.m.
• Fibre Space in Alexandria will offer free knitting classes, which usually cost $75, between 1 and 5 p.m. for furloughed workers with a government employee ID. You can bring your own needles and yarn or purchase them there.
• South American steakhouse Del Campo is offering happy hour prices for the duration of the shutdown, all day long, with a government ID.
• Pork Barrel BBQ Restaurant in Alexandria is offering a free pulled pork sandwich per day to furloughed government employees. Members of congress are specifically excluded.
• Cupcake Blvd. in Anne Arundel County is offering a free cupcake to federal employees that show their ID between 1 and 3 p.m. for the rest of the week.
The Washington Post's Dan Steinberg reports that the minor league Potomac Nationals are offering free tickets to furloughed government workers.
The P Nats are offering free Opening Day 2014 tickets to furloughed federal workers. Plus possible game-day jobs! http://t.co/nuT1nJt2lX— Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog) October 1, 2013
• L&B's Sports Bar in Dale City is offering a free slice of pizza and soft drink to all furloughed government employees every day during the shutdown. All federal workers need to do is show their CAC card.
The restaurant on Mapedale Plaza will also raffle off two pizzas per day.