MARYLAND

Maryland hospital patient dies in fire after smoking in bed

Decrease Increase Text size

BALTIMORE (AP) - A patient at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore has died after starting a fire while smoking in bed.

City fire officials say the male patient lit himself on fire.

Hospital spokeswoman Sharon Boston says in a statement that the fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. Friday, and she confirms that one patient died. She says firefighters put out the flames quickly, and the incident is being investigated.

Recommended For You