Holiday Recipe: Cream Cheese Bars
Devon Lucie’s full-time gig might be forecasting weather for NewsChannel 8, but you can also find him serving up cooking tips on "Let’s Talk Live" every now and again.
While Devon considers himself an adventurous cook, he admits that baking is not his thing. But that didn’t stop him from testing (and re-inventing) a sweet recipe from an old friend.
Devon says these Cream Cheese Bars are not only easy to whip up, but you can change up the ingredients to make it your own.
CREAM CHEESE BARS
2 Packages Crescent Rolls
2 8 oz Packets of Cream Cheese
2 Egg Yolks
2-3 tbsp butter
Cinnamon (freshly grated from stick or pre-ground in a bottle)
• Soften the cream cheese in a microwave at about 50% power for about 3 minutes. Monitor its heat so you don’t completely melt it, but enough to soften it so it incorporates the ingredients smoothly.
• In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, 2 egg yolks, the butter (melted), and ¼ cup of white sugar. This is your filling base.
• Now add the freshly ground holiday spices as desired. Grate in the nutmeg and stick cinnamon, also add in the vanilla.
• Grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray, butter, or whatever your preference.
• Take out the crescent roll packages. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into an even flat sheet, making sure it’s not too big for the sized dish.
• Line the pan with one of the layers of dough. On top of the dough, evenly spread the cream cheese filling. Place the second layer on top.
• On the top of the dough, sprinkle on a fairly generous, and even coating of white sugar, then also evenly coat with the pre-ground cinnamon.
• Put the dish into a 350° pre-heated oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the dough is cooked, brown, light and fluffy.
• Let the bars sit for a good 15 minutes or so, to cool.
Cut into squares, and enjoy!