Holiday Recipe: Ginger Cookies
Christmas time was also cookie-time for NewsChannel 8's Brian van de Graaff. Brian grew up in Madison County, Virginia and he says his mom's Ginger Cookies were one his all time favorites.
Brian says his mom stored the dough in the fridge so he and his family could have homemade cookies any time they wanted. He hasn't made his favorite Ginger Cookies with his own kids just yet, but plans to soon...maybe in time for Santa!
Brian's Favorite Ginger Cookies
3 sticks of butter
2 Cups of Sugar
½ cup of dark molasses
• Mash together the butter, sugar and molasses. Then add in the eggs.
4 cups of flour
4 tsp of baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
• In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
• Fold dry mix into the wet mix and allow dough to chill several hours, preferably overnight.
• Roll dough into small (1/2 teaspoon size) balls and coat in sugar.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes on an ungreased pan until the cookies are firm and brown.
• Wait 2 minutes before removing from the cookie sheet for best results.
• Dough can be prepared early and stored in the fridge. Or for longer, keep them in the freezer.
Super yummy and chewy! Enjoy!