Snow day specials: What's open in Washington D.C.?
- (Photo: Associated Press)
(WJLA) - While a wintry mix of rain, sleet and snow has shut down much of D.C., some notable Washington institutions are open for business today and many bars and restaurants are offering food and drink specials.
Unlike the rest of the Federal Government, the Supreme Court is open and hearing arguments today, including a case from North Carolina on the regulation of teeth whitening. The Smithsonian Institution closed all but one of its museums Monday, keeping the National Air and Space Museum on the National Mall open for visitors.
Looking to draw out drinkers and diners snowed in at home, bars and restaurants are offering specials or extending their happy hour prices.
- H street NE gastropub Granville Moore's will open at noon Monday and will offer $12 mussel bowls all day.
Bad weather tomorrow = mussel Monday all day. Looks like we will be open at noon w $12 mussels.— Granville Moore's (@GranvilleMoores) March 2, 2014
- Hill Country Barbeque will open at 11:30 a.m. with happy hour prices ($3 Pabst Blue Ribbon, $5 wines and well drinks and $20 margarita pitchers) all day long.
BBQ is an all-weather feast. We're open at 11:30 with hearty food & happy hour specials all day to keep you toasty since no one's driving.— Hill Country D.C. (@HillCountryWDC) March 3, 2014
- Shaw's Tavern on Florida Avenue in Northwest will open for brunch (including bottomless mimosas) Monday at 11 a.m.
Join us for snow day brunch starting at 11am. Bottomless mimosas as well!— Shaw's Tavern (@ShawsTavern) March 3, 2014
- Meridian Pint in Columbia Heights will open at 10 a.m. for brunch and will show the Star Wars trilogy beginning at noon in its basement bar.
We are almost ready for you, folks! Brunch at 10 and Star Wars at noon!— Meridian Pint (@MeridianPint) March 3, 2014
- Duffy's Irish Bar on Vermont Avenue in Northwest will offer free tater tots until 4 p.m. and will show the Nationals vs. Yankees spring training game, with the sound on, at 1 p.m.
Bar Open Noon Kitchen open at 4:30pm Free Tots noon til 4 (if they last that long) Nats vs Yankees with sound at... http://t.co/F2kFMXh9KG— Duffy's Irish Pub. (@Duffysirishpub) March 3, 2014
- Tortilla Coast will open its Capitol Hill location for brunch, including its make-your-own bloody mary bar, at 11 a.m. Tortilla Coast's P Street NW location will hand out free Mexican hot chocolate with each entree.
Snow Day Fun Day at Tortilla Coast! TC Hill: Brunch & Fun Bar; Logan: Free Mexican hot chocolate w/ entree! Stay warm & safe!— Tortilla Coast (@tortillacoast) March 3, 2014
- Lou's City Bar in Columbia Heights has half-price burgers until 7 a.m.
- Mexican restaurant El Centro D.F. will open at 11 a.m. and offer happy hour drink prices ($4 margaritas, wine, sangria and Mexican beer) all day.
Be sure today that the only salt you're dealing with is the kind on top of your margarita! Snow Day = All Day Happy Hour (beverage only)— El Centro D.F. (@ElCentroDF) March 3, 2014
- In Arlington, Ireland's Four Courts will open at 11 a.m. and offer happy hour prices.
- In Bethesda, Caddies on Cordell has $8.99 lunch specials along with $2 draft beers and $7 pitchers.
Its a snow day- come celebrate at Caddies! $8.99 lunch specials; $2 Drafts/$7 Pitchers Bud Light, Miller Lite and... http://t.co/eMvgnX3tzV— Caddies on Cordell (@caddiescordell) March 3, 2014
- Warm up after the DuPont Circle snowball fight at Irish Whiskey with happy hour prices ($4 for select beer and wine) all day.
YES! We will be open for regular hours at 11am. Come spend your SNOW DAY with us and Happy Hour specials all... http://t.co/RUFt0h1t8r— Irish Whiskey DC (@IrishWhiskeyDC) March 3, 2014
- The Washington Wizards will play their game Monday night against the Memphis Grizzlies as scheduled at 7 p.m. Tickets are available online for less than six dollars.