Baltimore street renamed after Troy Douglas Way, young boy who died in gas explosion
BALTIMORE (AP) - Two months after a young boy died while walking by natural gas explosion at a Baltimore rowhouse, the street is being renamed in his honor.
On Saturday, a new sign went up, naming the street Troy Douglas Way. Troy would have been 9 years old on Sunday.
Troy was killed Feb. 19 in the fire as he was walking home from school on North Lakewood Avenue. His body was found under a collapsed wall from the house. Fire investigators believe the heating system or water heater could have ignited the natural gas.
Troy's mother, Shanika Brown, says she appreciated the memorial in his honor. She says she only wishes she could have her son back and that the fire had never happened. But she says the community will always remember.