MARYLAND

Fire at Peruvian Charcoal Chicken restaurant causes damage, traffic delays in Silver Spring

Decrease Increase Text size

SILVER SPRING, Md. (WJLA) - A building fire damaged a restaurant in Montgomery County early Tuesday morning.

Video 1

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue responded to a call about a fire at Peruvian Charcoal Chicken restaurant, located at 10118 Colesville Road in Silver Spring.

Someone at a nearby 7-Eleven store on Four Corners noticed the strip mall where the restaurant is located was on fire and called it in.

Heavy smoke and flames were visible, shooting through the roof of the restaurant, when firefighters arrived on scene. The bulk of the fire was extinguished shortly after 6 a.m.

Some southbound lanes on Colesville Road near University Boulevard were shut down as firefighters worked to put the fire out, but all lanes reopened to traffic shortly after 8:30 a.m.

Sally Schwab told ABC7 getting to her office Tuesday morning was a challenge due to the response to the fire.

"I could see that I was not going to get [there]," she said. "The traffic was chaos."

Another big challenge Tueday morning was keeping the Montgomery County fire fighters cool under such hot conditions, on a day that is bringing its own kind of heat. Pete Piringer, spokesperson for the county's Fire and Rescue department, said he was doing all he could to keep the firefighters hydrated as the battled the flames.

In fact, Peringer said part of the reason why a second alarm was called for the fire was because of the already-sweltering temperatures. The call brought in more firefighters and a fully loaded mobile canteen.

"It is essential," Peringer said.

Footage from NewsChopper 7 shows more than 80 firefighters just after 5 a.m., swarming the building. It took them about 20 minutes to get the fire under control.

The chopper also caught shots of marred traffic, as southbound lanes on Route 29 and Colesville Road were shut down during rush hour and traffic was extended for miles.

The extent of the fire's damage was inside the Peruvian chicken restaurant, where it reportedly started inside a small room with several appliances, including a refrigerator, fire officials say.

Recommended For You