Watchdog: Sen. Warner says contractor’s handling of military families’ missing vehicles is ‘unacceptable’
Updated: August 18, 2014 - 06:02 pm
ARLINGTON, Va. (WJLA) – After seeing a series of ABC 7 Watchdog reports related to hundreds of missing cars belonging to military families, Virginia Senator Mark Warner has sent a formal letter to the Commander of U.S. Transportation Command, demanding answers.
The letter, dated Aug. 18, expresses “grave concern” about missing cars belonging to military members and requests a meeting with leadership to learn about steps to correct the problems.
Warner’s letter to General Paul Selva centers on complaints tied to International Auto Logistics, which took over the nearly $1 billion private vehicle transport contract back in May, after winning the bid from the Department of Defense and a series of court battles against the company that previously handled the job.
Warner says that although the hundreds of misplaced cars represent just a fraction of the thousands shipped each year for those service members who are changing stations, the delays are creating an inconvenience as well as a financial and logistical burden. Service members have reported paying out of pocket for rental cars as they wait weeks or months for cars to arrive.
Last week, U.S. Transportation Command announced it was sending teams to visit vehicle processing centers in search of missing vehicles. Now, Warner wants to know more about other steps being taken and why the contractor change was executed. He has asked for a meeting with the leadership before Aug. 29.
Warner says the seamless transition that was promised by the Army has not happened. In his letter, Warner details issues with IAL that were also exposed as part of an ABC 7 Watchdog report, including inaccurate information supplied by the company’s tracking system.
“This is unacceptable,” Warner said.