20º "Cooler" today than yesterday
This Afternoon: Partly Cloudy, Heat Relief, Still a bit humid
Highs: Near 85 | Heat Index: Also Only 85
Tonight: Partly Cloudy, Seasonable
Lows: 68-73 | Wind: Light
Tuesday: Becoming Sunny, Warm, a bit humid
Highs: Near 85 | Rain: 30% Chance PM T'storm
The cool front that finally brought us relief from the searing record heat has settled to our south We are on the edge of some lower humidity air but not quite enough north breeze to really get it here, but the break form 100º+ is sure welcome. Look at the local temperature changes in the last 24 hours. The front will be the focus of afternoon thunderstorms which today will stay south of DC although there are some showers to our west in the Shenandoah Valley. Keep an eye on live Doppler. Later in the week at the hot stuff begins to push back, there is the risk of afternoon storms and 90º might be back by Sunday but sure a much needed break for this week. Here are the statistics Brian put together on this record heat.
• Sizzled to 102 Sunday, breaking the record from 1993.
• Scorched to 105 Saturday, shattering the record of 102 and coming within a degree of the all-time record of 106, set 7/20/1913 and 8/6/1918.
• We have had 4 consecutive days of 100+.
• We have had 11 consecutive days of 95+.
• Hit 101 Sunday, breaking the record of 100.
• Soared to 101 Saturday, tying their record.
• Hit 100 Sunday, tying their record.
• Hit 104 Saturday, shattering the record of 101 from 2010.